Sammie Okposo biography, age, wife, children, net worth, and latest updatesNovember 30, 2022
Sammie Okposo was a Nigerian gospel musician born and raised in Delta State of Nigeria. He was born on 30th May 1971 and died on 25th November 2022.
The news of the death of Nigerian gospel singer, Sammie Okposo came as a shock to everyone on the 25th of November, 2022 simply because the 51-year-old Nigerian singer has been in the news a couple of times in the past few months and no one knew he had any health issues. Confirming the news of his death, many fans and colleagues have taken online to give their last wishes, praying for the singer.
Sammie Okposo Biography & profile summary
Sammie Okposo was born on May 30, 1971, in Delta State, Nigeria. When he was younger, his father had pushed him to seek a profession in accounting. He was a native of Nigeria’s Delta State. But when he started playing the piano at the age of nine and felt the exhilaration from doing his tasks, his passion in music really took off.
When he was ten years old, Sammie Okposo played the piano in the church. He was rumored to be related to the senior pastors of House on the Rock Worldwide, Mr. and Mrs. Adefarasin.
Sammie Okposo: Early Life and Education
Sammie Okposo was born in Delta State where he grew up alongside his siblings. While growing up, his father wanted him to be an accountant. He had his primary and secondary education in Delta State, the South South region of Nigeria. He began showing interest in music when he was 9-year-old, playing piano which fueled his passion for music. Sammie Okposo became the official pianist in his local church when he was 10 years old.
Sammie Okposo: Career
Sammie Okposo officially launched his production career in 1992 following his decision to join the Nigerian Movie Industry as a Sound Track Producer before venturing into Music Production. He came into spotlight in 2000, after he released his debut album, ‘Unconditional Love‘ which houses hit single such as ‘Welu-Welu’.
Sammie Okposo had performed on the same stage with Deitrick Haddon, Jonathan Nelson, Micah Stampley, Maxi Priest, Shaggy, Missy Elliot, Benjamin Dube, Judith Sephuma, Sonnie Badu, Uche Double-Double, Lionel Peterson, Angelique Kidjo, Koffi Olomide, Awilo Logomba, John Legend, Kirk Franklin, Don Moen, Jessy Dickson, Ron Kenoly, Cece Winans and Nicole Mullen. The singer was a Glo Ambassador for ten years and has now become a United Nations Peace Ambassador.
Sammie Okposo: Awards and Recognitions
The 51-year-old bagged multiple awards on local and global stages in his lifetime. Among the awards were Best Contemporary Gospel Artiste for Power of Music and Praise Awards in 2002, Best Male Gospel Artiste in Africa for Kora Awards, South Africa in 2003. He also won the Trailblazer of the African Gospel Music Awards, in the United Kingdom in 2012 and in 2017, he won Male Artiste of the year for African Gospel Music and Media Awards, UK.
Here is the list of Sammie Okposo’s awards and recognitions.
- 1994 – Most Promising Male Artiste (Fame Music Awards)
- 1997 – Best Sound Track (The Movie Awards, Nigeria)
- 1998 – Best Sound Track (The Movie Awards, Nigeria)
- 1999 – Best Sound Track (The Movie Awards, Nigeria)
- 2000 – Best Sound Track (The Movie Awards, Nigeria)
- 2001 – Best Gospel Artiste Amen Awards, Nigeria
- 2002 – Gospel Artiste of the year (Power of Music and Praise Awards)
- 2002 – Best contemporary gospel Artiste (Power of Music and Praise Awards)
- 2003 – Best Male Gospel Artiste in Africa Nominee (Kora Awards, South Africa)
- 2005 – Artist of the year (Teen Choice Awards)
- 2005 – Best remix Album (CNA Awards)
- 2005 – Best Male contemporary gospel Artiste in Nigeria (Amen Awards)
- 2005/2006 – Best Male Gospel Artist in Africa (Kora Awards, South Africa)
- 2006 – Best Sound and Music Score – Amazing Grace (Nigeria Movie Awards)
- 2006 – Gospel Artist of the year (Nigeria Music Awards)
- 2006 – Best Gospel Artiste in English (Afro Hollywood Awards UK)
- 2007- Gospel artist of the year (Nigeria Entertainment Awards, New York)
- 2008 – Best contemporary Gospel Artiste (Nigerian Music Awards)
- 2008 – Best Gospel Video (Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- 2010- God zone award for excellence in entertainment (GOD ZONE Awards)
- 2011- Best music video producer (Nigerian Music Video Awards)
- 2012 – Grass root ambassador of the year (Real Soccerfest and CAN)
- 2012 – Trailblazer award (African Gospel Music Awards U.K)
- 2012- Best male Christian artiste (Pastor Bimbo Odukoya Foundation awards)
- 2012- Positive impact awards (Inside Out media awards)
- 2013 – Artiste of the year at the Crystal Awards, Nigeria
- 2013 – Album of the year (The Statement) Crystal Awards, Nigeria
Sammie Okposo: Wife, Children & Personal Life
Sammie Okposo is happily married to Ozioma Okopso. Sammie Okposo offered a public apology to his wife, Ozioma, via his Instagram page on 24 January 2022 for his infidelity. The apology came a day after a lady, known only as African Doll, accused him of impregnating her and abandoning her.
The gospel musician told his fans that he would be taking a step back from his ministry to focus on restoration and seek forgiveness. He initially deleted his social media handles, but restored them a few days later.
Controversies With Actress Kate Henshaw
Recall that years ago, while dating popular actress, Kate Henshaw, the singer was accused of beating and even breaking her ankle. Kate Henshaw said “I can’t withstand violence in a relationship. I was once a victim. The relationship lasted for about three/four years. I didn’t know who I was then. I was so timid, I almost stopped smiling and almost stopped laughing, but there was this inner strength in me that helped me to rediscover myself. In fact, I had no self-esteem then. I wanted to change and be who I was not, based on the ill treatment and violent nature of my man then.
He was constantly abusing, beating and battering me inside the house and in public places. I think there was a time when I walked round with bandage on my leg, courtesy of my violent lover. Funny enough, this violent lover of mine claimed to love me and wanted to marry me then.
I wanted to marry him. I had started buying pots and other household items because I was in love. I wanted to settle down, I wanted to have my children with him. I wanted to be happy and continue to do my work but he was that bad. I kept think he would change, but he didn’t. I tried my best to be everything to him, but finally I said enough was enough, this relationship was not of God and not for me. During those turbulent periods, I was ashamed.
Controversies With His Wife, Ozioma
This year on January 24, 2022, Okposo offered a public apology to his wife, Ozioma, via his Instagram page over his infidelity. He offered the apology a day after a lady, known only as African Doll, accused him of impregnating her and abandoning her. The gospel musician disclosed to his fans that he would be taking a step back from his ministry to focus on restoration and seek forgiveness. Okposo initially deleted his social media handles after the revelation but restored them a few days later.
Sammie Okposo stated that he would do everything within his power to rebuild his wife’s trust in him and will be removing himself from all ministerial duties until restoration has been achieved as he believes that this is what God expects of him at the moment. Okposo revealed that the incident occurred recently, late in 2021.
Sammie Okposo: Death
In May, he escaped death after being involved in a ghastly car crash while driving on Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos. According to reports, Sammie Okposo died on the 25th of November, 2022 after slumping at an event. The real cause of his death is yet to be revealed.
Sammie Okposo: Net Worth
Sammie Okposo is a top Nigerian gospel singer with an estimated net worth of $1 Million.