13 Keys To A Happy LifeFebruary 13, 2023
These may be controversial, but here are 13 tips I have found to be true:
- Stop Comparing – Being happy in your own skin is one of the biggest keys to happiness I know. A lot of unhappiness come from people believing that they are “less than” others because of the images they see or messages they ingest. You can be so much happier by feeling and knowing you’re the real deal!
- Don’t Settle When It Comes To Marriage – Marriage is the single biggest decision you make, so be picky and marry the right person for you. Don’t rush in because you think it’s “time” or you feel “pressured.” Marry someone you are excited about, who makes you feel amazing, who is good to you down to their last breath. Don’t compromise or settle on this one – they will be a large part of the mood of your home every day!
- Take Care of Physical & Mental Health Problems – A sure way to make happiness harder is being uncomfortable! While it’s not always possible to “cure” everything, address your physical and emotional needs as best as possible. Some people allow themselves to have lingering pains, or struggles with depression. Take the steps to address it. It will change your entire experience of the world.
- Do More Things You Like! This sounds silly, but I’ve met people who say they used to love painting, but they say they haven’t done it in 10 years! Why? We get so busy with life that the first things we cut off, are sometimes hobbies – we don’t see them as “essential” or “important,” but they absolutely are when we’re talking about happiness. Make time for things you truly enjoy – it makes life more enjoyable.
- Be Okay With Bad Days – Part of living a happy life, is realizing that you won’t be happy 24/7, and being fine with it. You’ll have times of grief, times of irritation, and times of stress or anxiety, and that’s fine. Accepting that you’re a human with series of emotions, and seeing every day as a new day, is part of what makes you happy.
- Seek Out the Good/ Minimize the Bad – Your mindset and mood is often influenced by what you feed it. This is also refers to people you surround yourself with, and even the news on the media you ingest.
- Limit toxic people. Limit toxic headlines/news media, and seek to spend more time/energy with the good.
- Be a Helper – If you want to be happy, there is a lot of joy in helping others. Some of what makes life wonderful is feeling useful, helping another without expecting return, and being reminded of your own good fortune (gratitude). Making the world a better place makes you feel better too.
- Live in the Present – Today is a new day, and some people have pasts that are incredibly hard. Live in the present, not in the past…or you’ll be stuck there and miss the great stuff of today.
- Have a Few Bucks in the Bank – This is maybe controversial, but poverty is stressful, and if you can pay for the basics comfortably – it will remove a lot of that stress from your life.
You don’t have to be wealthy, but some amount of financial comfort will prevent the worries about the basics of everyday life.
- Move! Being able to move your body a bit will help to keep you happy. You don’t have to be an olympian to move. Going for a walk every day, or doing some stretches at home can help. Our brain has a way of responding to movement that makes us feel happier.
- Have New Experiences – Doing something new doesn’t have to be traveling to a distant land – maybe it’s just trying your hand at baking a pie, eating a new type of food you’ve never had, or visiting a small town nearby you’ve never been to. New experiences give us things to look forward to, things to talk about, and bring back some of the curiosity of being a child.
- Love in Your Life – If you have a person who truly loves you in this world, and accepts you for exactly who you are – it will help contribute to your sense of happiness. Heck, having a pet that loves you can also help this. Love is powerful, and while it isn’t everything, it makes the bad times easier to bear. Being loved, and loving another brings many people great satisfaction and joy.
I’m sure I’m still missing a bunch, so I’d love to hear your own thoughts in the comments of great things to add to keep it going!